Saturday, March 6, 2010

Week of March 1, 2010


If I could travel back in time and talk to myself about energy and systems, I would first show my self the elephant video. The elephant video helped me understand the different types of energy, how it was transfered, and when the system has these types of energy. The first type is Kenetic energy, I would tell myself that the system has this type of energy when it is accelerating. Then, I would say that gravitational potential energy was when something was at the peak of falling or about to fall. I would show myself Mr. Finley dropping a dictionary. Next, I would tell myself that Elastic potential energy was when something had the power to stretch another thing, like when Aage flung the chalk at the classroom door using a rubber band. Then i would look at the problem with the girl pushing the box on a color changing floor to help me out with the last energy form. To help me learn to identify the things in a system I would talk to myself about all the things that are affecting it, because anything affecting the system cannot be in the system. Then i would ask myself if the system has gravitational potential energy. If it did I would tell myself that I then needed to include the earth in my system. for initial and final states i would try to explain to myself that there are normally two choices for initial and final. For example, when Mr. Finley was dropping the dictionary the initial state could be when it was on the ground and then the final would be when he was holding it. Or, the initial could be when he was holding it and the final would be when the dictionary was in mid-air. It all depends on what kind of energy you are trying to explain that your system has. And for calculating work, I would yell at myself, "YOU CANNOT HAVE CENTIMETERS IN YOUR NUMBER SENTENCE!" because I forget that every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment